11.04.2009

The Gorilla-sized Gorilla Glue Project.

The Shanty 2 Chic sisters are hosting a Gorilla Glue linky party, so here's the latest project (and the finale to my almost-never-ending Dining Room Makeover as it will hang on the big blank wall). And because this project was thrifty (under $10) I'm linking to Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville. And because this project is our first real home furnishing we've build from scratch, I'm liking to Miss Mustard Seed's Furniture Feature Friday. AND because working with my beloved on household projects makes my life Beautiful, I'll like up with Melissa's Beautiful Life Fridays.


We had this bevelled mirror that I decided I wanted to reframe, so we went to the ReStore to get trim.  2 10ft oak pieces for about $6.  We have no fancy power tools (yet), so hubby had to make 8 cuts with a good old fashioned miter and dull saw.  Took about an hour.  Not fun.  Look at his cute little balding head as he checks the fit of the corners.  He's so cute.  I'm not sure which is more fun...building stuff yourself, or watching your hunky hubby build stuff. 

Look!  It's the Kooky Lady again. She's wielding her weapon of choice during this project. And wearing a garage door opener on her head.  How nice.
 
Enter the big guns.  As I'd already used this for a previous project, the top was glued shut.  Yep. We used the 'dip a broken paint stick and wipe it on' method.  Professionals do this.  Really.   And they stack all manner of half-filled paint cans to hold stuff in place.  Clamps are so yesterday.



Time to measure around the mirror so we....well, so hubby...could cut out the back piece, which happens to be a dazzling leftover piece of paneling from the previous owners' stash.  He used that spare piece of trim sitting on top to measure all the way around and drew a pencil line.


Checking his measurements to get the mirror centered just so....Just so he could play with this stuff next.
 
It's fun to squirt.  It's fun to spread.  It's fun to dance on the mirror. (By the way, always smooth out the goop or it acts all stupid.  Hubby's words, not mine.  And he wanted me to be sure to tell you all that.)


Here's the frame laying over the mirror which is attached to the panel piece.  Hubs also put two screw in the sides at each end to reinforce the corners, though I think the glue would've been fine.  The wood was so freaking hard, and the screwdriver so freaking out of charge, we left it at two. Anyway, her it is ready for me to prime, paint, and glaze before attaching it to the mirror board.


 

Btw, I've used Gorilla Glue and Epoxy for a couple other little endeavors...easy peasy and elcheapo. Briefly, I put together the pillar holder using a wooden railing scrap (already painted black, picked up at the ReStore) and a couple wooden discs from Hob Blob, used the Gorilla Wood Glue to attach the discs to the top and bottom, painted, sanded and glazed.  Ta da!

Next I used the epoxy to attach two $1 glasses from Big Lots (flipped upside down) to a couple $2 Goodwill plates. Then I used the tops of my thrift store cheese holder thingy-s to make cloches.


 

I also have plans to use the epoxy to make a 3 tiered tray for displaying goodies at Christmas using candlesticks and pretty plates.  But back to the mirror....here's Hubs putting in bitty screws along the back.  He used 4 down each long side and 2 each on the short sides to attach the frame to the panel.



And the big finish...after I'd primed, painted and glazed.




We just need to add the sawtooth hangers and get it up in the dining room on the big blank wall.  Ran outta the right size screws.  Typical, non-climatic ending. 


29 comments:

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

What a great project! Love all the other ones also. My little gorilla glue project seems to pale in comparison to yours....

Good luck! Win me something good!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

That is gorgeous! I absolutely love it. And I want you to know that I love reading your posts. They make me smile and laugh out loud. Thank you. I think you would be a blast to hang out with!
Great project!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Great, easy makeovers!!! Congrats and thanks for sharing :D

check out my blog if you get a chance.. thanks!

Abatevintage said...

Wow that looked incredible. It turned out great, I like the lighter wood finish you used on it, it will go with everything.

Blessings,
Heidi

Janean said...

who knew??? i've used this glue just for fixes, but as an actual "tool?" ummmmm. I'm off to think about the possibilities!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I loooooove Gorilla Glue. Great projects, love the covered dishes!
~Michelle

Jane said...

Loved all of your projects. The cloches were my favorite.
Jane

Kate said...

Cindy

You are a STAR I love your projects and the neat narration. I feel like I am right there in your home. Thanks for sunshine today, you rock!!!

Hugs Kate

Jane said...

Love your DIY spirit! Gonna have to get to that Restore soon!

The House Creative said...

Beautiful! Love it! The finish looks awesome.

rebekahweckerly@gmail.com said...

Love the mirror! Looks great! Love the ide of glueing the glass plates!!! i will have to try that one!

Kristin - The Goat said...

I'm so happy that you enjoy watching your husband build things. My husband isn't as friendly when he's building lol

I didn't know that Gorilla Glue had a wood glue formula - you've got me thinking :)

What a great project and I really like the glass, plate and dome project! You are good!

Kristin - The Goat

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Woah! What great projects! LOve gorilla Glue! I am so going to make the cloches and share them. Tomorrow I am going to feature yours on Bloggeritville! Thanks for linking up to Tales from Bloggeritaville Thrifty Thursday.
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Great projects and I too love gorilla glue! You're good.
Be a sweetie,

Shelai :)

Flat Creek Farm said...

Love all the projects! Especially that mirror. Gorgeous! -Tammy

Maggie said...

Cindy,
I'm always amazed by the great projects you create, such a talented lady you are.
That's why there's a surprise waiting for you on my blog, if you care to visit Normandy today.
Maggie

Mandy said...

Gorgeous mirror!

Sandy and Joe/rhubarb reign said...

Hi Cindy -- Thanks for your nice comment on my basket liners. Your mirror turned out great; like the other projects, too. Glue is my BFF!! Although I've concluded women like it better than men -- they always want to add nails or screws. Come see me again! xo

Blue Creek Home said...

I am totally impressed, girl!!! I love the paint finish you did. And your hunky husbands balding head is cute too!!
Rhonda

Kammy said...

Very nice - I love your story of the progress !
I need to get more cheese holders to have more cloches !
Thanks for sharing !
Kammy

Michelle said...

LOL...we have clamps but the paint cans are so much easier and always handy too!

The mirror looks great and I love that it's beveled!

Stefanie said...

Great project as always!!! I have a mirror project that is similar that I need to do that I haven't gotten around to yet. I am such a slacker! I love those little glasses you used. I had one that I used as a small cloche but I think I might have given it to goodwill. I love this use for it. I am going to have to see if I still have it!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

You make homemade cloches too?!? I bow down to your creative greatness! Those are so cool! I will be picking up some gorilla glue so I can play at this next party.

Can't wait to see this stuff all hung up nice and Cottage Instinct like. And, like the hat. :)

Donna

Miss Mustard Seed said...

You are handy and resourcefful! All of those projects turned out great Well done!

Teresa said...

What a great project love it! Your site is way fun-
Thanks!

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Great project and great post. I have been using Gorilla glue for all kinds of things.
Susan

Claudia said...

I love your creativity! And your blog! The mirror is beautiful - we have no power tools either - so the saw and a miter box are our tools of necessity too!

Diann said...

Awesome projects! Eveything looks great!

Embellished Bayou said...

Wow, all fabulous projects! I love the painting/distressing technique you used on the mirror and candlestick.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails