1.30.2010

Old things and new revelations.

Thrifting.  Yes, I love thrifting.  Antiquing.  Yes, I love antiquing.

The last few days I got to do both.  And scored a ton of charming loot that will begin to bring to life my style as I embrace my 'loves'.  But I also made another big discovery, that I'm just as tickled about.  
I'll share that a little further down.

Seriously?  Come on now, look at that booty!  Tell me you're impressed.  Say "Cindy, I'm impressed."  Thank you.

Little white lovelies...

Gold goodness to be transformed soon.

Big plans for all these gorgeous mirrors too...
 
  

And these frames will presto-chango as well....

Teensy little framed botanical.  Freakin' adorable, if I don't say so myself.
 

Old pressing thingy.  For the arms of shirts.  Total coolness. 
  
A couple wool sweaters for future felting projects.
 

Also snagged a long wool coat for me, and a couple tops.

Picked up this antique lamp at a consignment shop.  Gonna make a new shade for her and give her a new coat of paint.

By the way, if you want to read a gut-busting hilarious post about one woman's thrifting adventure, go read this post at My Big Life in a Small Town:  My Little Pretties

Ok, next.....
I had to make a trip to see my Gram on the north side of Indy, so I combined that with some more 
super-fun-no-pressure-no-time-limits-no-kids-browsing jaunts. 

Ran into my favorite local antique spot before blowing town, then stopped by a couple more antique/gift shops in my hometown where Gram lives.

Found me some pretties.

Check out the stars of recycled wood.  Delish.  Vintage aqua plate.  Yummers.
 

Not sure this birdcage is old, but I loved it, and it was on clearance. (this booth is closing unfortunately)
  

Can I get an oooooo  ahhhhhhh?  This basket is just the thing I need for some of my BIG walls.  I'll have fun filling it.  Or I'll pull my hair out filling it.  Either way.
  
  
Handmade cards showing the courthouse in the town where I grew up. Gonna frame one.
  

Old decanter jobby.
 

I'm loving how the rustic sits alongside some shiny.  I want my home to have an eclectic gathering of interesting items, be they thrifted, handmade, antique, what-have-you.
 

In other news:
Looked at the World Market tables, decided they were a wee bit too trendy for my taste.  

And I should let you know right here hubs and I bought a dining set after I got back today.  That'll be a different post 'cause I don't want to overwhelm you with my quick wit, superior writing skills, and overall massively impressive photography all at once.  

Actually I'm just lazy. 
This post is taking F.O.R.E.V.E.R. to finish.

Went to Hancock and snatched the last 5 yards of the washed floral I used for my throw pillows in the master bedroom. YAY!


Went to Home Goods and bought NOTHING.  (Looking for vintagey throw rugs for the master, saw lots of stuff to knock off, and lots of women who need an attitude adjustment.)

Went to Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware to pinch some catalogues.  Made a big discovery. 
I'm over them. 
I *did* go look at the beautiful farmhouse quilt I posted about....the colors were not a good match, and frankly, it wasn't as pretty as in the catalogue.  

Also got some beautiful glass ornaments at RH on 70% off.  


But girls.  Did you catch what I said?  I. am. over. them.  I mean truly, they have some amazingly cool birdie stuff, but there was soooo much, it was obnoxious. I'm tempted to hide my plethora of bird paraphenalia until this phase is over in decorating land. Just so no one thinks I'm collecting birds because PB told me to.  I could appreciate their styling, but I just could not get over how it felt way too pushed, staged, in your face.  Lovely things, just over marketed, over-priced, with no character. 

Now *my* newly-acquired antique bird here has all kinda character, and it's the REAL DEAL. 

I kinda left there pitying the people who drop hard-earned cash there for things they can either make themselves or purchase from a talented etsy shop-owner.  Pulling out of the mall parking lot, jammin' to some classic Ella Fitzgerald.....like you do, I realized I don't really want anything they have anymore. It was a real let-down, and that's a good thing.  (channeling Martha for a minute there)  

  But soon a contented joy bubbled up from down deep, and I left the Big Guys behind to revel in the unique goodies tucked in my back seat. 

I came home late this afternoon with all my thrifted/antique goodies all wrapped in smooth paper. Got a thrill each time I opened a package cradling yet another one-of-a-kind item that had been loved and used in a previous life or passed off as ugly, now just needing a bit of my creative attention to give them a new lease on life.

 

This is such a revelation to me, and I don't know why.  I suppose I feel a bit giddy that I marked off a few 'likes', and didn't feel regret. I can look forward to hunting for/creating my true 'loves'.  
Old things.  Unique things.  Stuff with a past.  Stuff with a new future.

Love.

 

 

46 comments:

WhisperWood Cottage said...

"Cindy, I am impressed." Seriously! Great finds!! I don't know which I liked best about this post...your quick wit, your superior writing skills, or your impressive photography! Can't wait to see the new dining set!!

Leanne said...

Wow, Cindy I am impressed! I went thrifting too. The first time in a long time, but I didn't get half the fun things you did. Way to go! I'll be posting mine today or tomorrow. I need to finish painting a closet first. Have a great day/or night.

Patricia said...

Hey Cindy ~
I love your posts~~~ seriously, when you post it is like you are talking to me as if we met for some hot chocolate in the park to diScuss... whatever!
I immediately click on your post whenever I see them because I just know I am in for a treat!

All Blessings
Patricia

Lisa said...

Oh Cindy, BRAVO! Your thrifting could very well have been my thrifting, LOVE it all!!! I seriously stared, mouth wide open, at each of your photos, loving every piece! I am VERY envious of your stars. Gorgeous! Can't wait to see what you are doing with the mirrors, but that gold ornate one is to DIE for! Lovin' on that bird cage too.

Funny thing, I just went thrifting today, came home with a gold ornate frame, a gold mirrored tray, and a vintage bird cage. Sound familiar? I'm thinking we may have been seperated at birth, sister! And I do believe we both have a date with some spray paint soon, right?

Cindy, I AM impressed, and yes, you can get an oooh, and an aaahhh. Matter fact, take two, they're small.

Sorry this comment is so long, I am just so tickled to have found someone with such similar tastes, who loves the thrill of the hunt as much as I, and who has the same twisted sense of humor! :) Thanks so much for the mention of my blog. It's not hard to write about something I love so much and I can see by your post, it affects you the same way.

I had goosebumps at the end of reading your post. It's a sickness, I tell ya. I bet you hear harps and ride on the escalator too, doncha? :)

Happy thrifting!
Lisa

Lisa said...

Forgot to mention, TOTALLY intrigued by the 4 foot tall ceramic camel! :)

I am planning my first linky party and giveaway with a whacky twist. Will have details posted Monday night, be sure to check it out, you'll fit right in!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I love things with a past....a story...held in the hands by another who romanticaly swooned over the piece once before. You and I share a like interest - that is the love of something old. Nothing is better. You realllly did score! Good job!! No, take that back - AWESOME job!!!

And that parrot print.....love it!

Happy junkin',
Becky

DustyLu said...

What a great post! and way to keep me hanging! what goodies you found. I can't wait to see what you do with everything..esp the mirrors..lulu

Catherine @ van Breugel Design said...

Cindy I am impressed! I can hear your excitement jumping off the screen! Wow what a haul! Did you rent a u-haul? I can't believe what you all brought home!
I stopped at a junk store the other day and got a couple great things - but no where close to your incredible bounty! Holy smokes! Looking forward to seeing the transformation!

Rustique Gal said...

Cindy, You are talkin to ME. I want or have it already! Those stars are way cool, and the basket is marvy! Keep us posted!
Sherry

Funky Junk Interiors said...

I totally smiled through your whole entire post. (I'm dying over those stars!!)

Know what I see? You are finding your own way. And that's the best way to be. :)

What a GREAT haul! I'm still gutting so I won't go there yet. But I'm getting might ansy after this post!

Donna

Eclectic Thrifty Chic said...

Everything you got is so lovely!! I went thrifting on Wednesday and got loads of goodies too, but it looks as if you've got me beat! (by the way, if you see a woman trying to sneak into your house and out with your mirrors, it's just me!lol)

Pam said...

You found some really great treasures, Cindy! I love the print of the Noblesville Courthouse. My husband works in Noblesville and I think the town is so quaint and beautiful. I'm down there shopping quite often. Can you drop a sista a name/location of the great antiques mall you scored big at? Thanks!

Pam

Polly said...

Hi Cindy! You gathered up some wonderful things on your little jaunt!! I'm so glad you had fun! And I can't wait to see how you transform everything! Should be some fun projects!!

Take care,

Polly

Donna said...

Oh my Grandmother had a clock like that one. I remember listening to it tick at night - it helped me sleep. Thanks for the nice post and the memory!

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

"I'm impressed!" I am enjoy reading about your transformation as I am amidst my own.

Deborah

Drew&Samsmom said...

First of all - I love everything! That birdcage is precious - I've actually been looking for one myself.

I'm with you on the PB thing. Yeah, they have nice things but its not even close to the "thrill of the hunt" as I like to call it. It is so much fun to make old things new again or just keep them "as is".

I love this post! It made my day!

~stevie
http://thriftingthedayaway.blogspot.com/

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I just love all of your wonderful treasures. I have forever loved the old and the used and visiting thrift or antique shope is just my favorite. I am with you, it is hard to look at some of the new things and get excited. You made great choices and I know it will look fabulous and you will love every piece. Hugs, Marty

ritad said...

OMG! Cindy, I am so impressed, and it takes a lot to impress me. Wish I could shadow that thrift shopping you had.

Pat Harris said...

Wow! The thrifting gods wwere looking down on you today. Seriously, I loved it all! I think I can talk Ron into trying to make some of those stars for our booth, they are just too cool. I know I am going to start visiting antique stores, where I usually just stick to thrift stores. I think I'm missing a lot of really neat goodies. thank you for sharing. Pat.

LuLu Kellogg said...

You really hit a gold mine with all these wonderful finds! I really enjoyed all the wonderful pictures you shared!

One Cheap B*tch said...

you did awesome! I love that bird cage! I never find stuff like this where I live!

white flower farmhouse said...

Cindy, I am REALLY impressed! You are a natural at treasure hunting. I am feeling the love for those creamy white display pieces. All the best, Lori

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

OH my goodness...too much fabulous stuff to take in!!

I love the giant wood star, and the bird cage. Can't wait to see all the transformations!

Karen said...

I love your new finds but I am more impressed by your courage at saying to PB "ta ta for now". I have much the same feelings. Your such an inspiration to the rest of us. You have a terrific eye to see the beauty of what a little treasure can become........

Tracey said...

You sure got some great things. I have not been so lucky lately in my thrifting adventures.

Anonymous said...

Seriously the best junkin score I've even seen! Great stuff. Bet you feel like you've won the lottery!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Wow! You really did do some major junkin!
I really like the birdcage. No shopping for me this weekend - I don't walk to well on ice. As far as PB - I go to one of their outlet stores on occasion, but rarely buy anything. Most is to contemporary looking, not to mention overpriced even at the outlet - the same with Wm. Sonoma.

Unknown said...

Cindy, I'm impressed. Okay, maybe a wee bit jealous too...with the great finds, and with those obviously awesome thrift and antique joints you have near you. Our area is really lacking, and I've been looking too.

And please, you have got to share the story of the women needing the attitude adjustment. There has got to be a hilarious story there.

As for the wit, writing skills and photography, keep it coming! Looking forward to how you use your new finds ('cause I know I will gain inspiration.)

deb said...

Cindy, I am so impressed!! I got so excited looking at all your goodies! It was like I was there with you. Don'tcha love the thrill of the hunt?! You nabbed some awesome yummies!
Love your posts!!
Have a fun day!
*hugs*deb

Maddie said...

Oh mommy I just want to hug you!

Elisa said...

NICE LOOT! Ok, so I like thrifting, but I only ever go to Goodwill and...salvation army. Do you have a post on how to find great thrifting places?

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Cindy, I am SO impressed!!! You rocked it big time!! Love that bird cage and the big basket thingy for the wall, and those FRAMES!! I love it all and can't wait to see it when you spin your magic!

Lou Cinda :)

la maison LaFortune said...

That ornate mirror is absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see what becomes of it. I would have been close to comatose after scoring all that loot! Life is good.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Wow! Quite a haul. I love the bird cage, mirrors, frames,and those stars. I can't wait for yard sale season to start in PA!

The Whispering Creek House said...

wow what a haul! where do you go thrifting they have great stuff..you did well!

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

One word for you. Coveting. Jealousy. Okay, that was two words. Love your finds!!! How fabulous! Eye candy all around. Thanks for sharing :).

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

great finds! I can't wait to see what you do with the gaudy golds, and how you use all the other neat stuff you got!
gail

Marianne said...

Wow, you found some amazing treasures! They will look so great ones you have given them your treatment. And although we don't have PB here, I get the feeling, ones you have made something yourself it just doesn't feel good anymore to buy it full price and finished.

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

These are wonderful finds! I agree, it's much more fun to find it yourself then have the same as everyone else bought from PB. Reminds me of a "Friends" episode....

I'm looking forward to seeing how these become a part of your home.

~ Regan said...

Cindy, I'm impressed. There. I said it.

Excuse me while I go pout now......

;)

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

You got a ton of stuff! I'm jealous!!

Faded Charm said...

Wow, you made a haul. You really know how to shop when you put your mind to it. Can't wait to see all your transformations.

Enjoy yur week.

Kathleen

Unknown said...

Wow, what an amazing pile of loot! I love your taste, that's some beautiful stuff.

Amy {The Red Chair Blog} said...

You found some GREAT treasures!! What fun.

Ginger said...

Oh, I can't wait to see what you do or place with the birdcage. I found it's twin a few months ago at our local thrift store and have no idea what to do with it, yet. I'm just getting the urge to decorate our house after 9 years and make it HOME! I love your blog.

Rue said...

I'm reading along and loving your posts and just as I read that you're over PB, they send an ad to my email LOL

Anyhoo, I am REALLY impressed with your loot!

rue

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails