1.26.2010

My daytime job....when I'm not decorating.


'Ole Donna of Funky Junk is asking what we do when we aren't decorating.  So I thought I'd show ya.

Awhile back I mentioned another creative endeavor I was taking on....remember?  If not, I'll refresh your memory.  Just after Thanksgiving I took on another creative endeavor. 


I began homeschooling again.  But not my own kids.  This was the first year after 12 years of homeschooling that I was home alone.  I even got a job at a local salad bar.  The visor was cool. 

But my new son-in-law's brother was needing some help with school.  Since both his folks work full-time, I figured 'eh, I'll school him.'



So I did.  And still do.  Here's some shots of a typical day.  I go to his house 2 days a week, then he comes to my place 2 days.  Today was at his place (which you might remember I decked out for my daughter's 20th birthday party HERE).

You start with a big ole pile of books....these happen to be World History resources, and yes, I am reading poetry and classic literature aloud to a 15 year old boy.  (We are using Sonlight for those interested.)  I am also torturing him with Latin and Greek roots for SAT prep by playing Rummy Roots 'Go-Fish' style.  Tons of fun, I tell ya.  I whoop him everytime (right J?).


Also necessary are day-old muffins.


And some good old fashioned caffeine.


Do I look ready for the task?  Hot pink zebra glasses make the woman.  They have magical powers.
I was blind, but now I see.


Ah, here he is, my victim student, drawing sustenence for the grueling intellectual exercises I will soon be forcing him to undertake.
Frostys also have magical powers, don't-cha-know.

Start with a good attitude.



Then set him to work and study my planbook like a good teacher,
checking off things with my trusty red pen.



Wanna join my class......





The Angry Mom Face always works.  It's my secret weapon.  More powerful than the magical glasses. Even though I'm not his Mom. 

Or even his angry mom. 

So there ya have it.  Pretty exciting, eh?  I am just *so* overflowing with creativity, I play school marm to a 15 year old.  Y'all should try it sometime. 



 



14 comments:

Gwen said...

I think that it sounds like a great way to spend your time. I applaud you for your patience and am a bit jealous. I learned quite a while ago that I just don't have the patience to be a teacher.

Donatella said...

THAT IS TO FUNNY SOUNDS LIKE YOUR A FUN TEACHER TO HAVE

Tracy said...

Wow. You are a busy gal and I admire you for homeschooling! It is always neat to hear my blogger friends' talk to put a voice with a name, face and personality! Great job taking on your Son-in-law's bro. I bet that is so rewarding! Have a great day! BTW, cute glasses! ;)

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Cindy,
You make learning fun. He's lucky to have such a wonderful teacher.

Sissie

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Good for you! I would never have made it as a teacher - lack of patience. My daughter homeschooled 2 of my Grands and when they went to public school, they were ahead of their class.

One Cheap B*tch said...

Ha! I love this post - you crack me up.

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

I think it's so generous of you to homeschool him. SAT prep? We need to talk, I'm so not doing anything like that with Aaron, and now I'm scared....

I teach Aaron real good at home school. You be so nice to teach that young man. You nice lady.

www.thewhitefarmhouse2.blogspot.com said...

I would LOVE to have you for a teacher. I may even learn something. It would be too funny if you could talk him into taking you to prom though!

I spend my days helping my husband with his business. He supplies materials for cell towers and does some residential work. He's a general contractor. I know my son's principal being that I am the PTO president. The other day the principal called laughing. He said that he asked my son if I was home on Monday since he had to call with some PTO business. My son told him "Yes she is. She is making 750 bombs for my dad today." Seems that he does listen when I complain. I had to make 750 BOM's (bill of materials) lists for cell sites. Of course you pronounce BOM like bomb. So... there ya go!

You looked so cute jumping on my bed earlier! I got such a giggle out of it!

Maddie said...

LOL! I love how you used our old internet stickers for your post. So fitting. Ya dig?

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

What fun!
I am really considering homeschooling.
~Amy

Amy Kinser said...

Good for you!! I home school our three children and love it. Can't imagine not doing it.

Join me at my blog for a pay it forward give away if you are interested.

DustyLu said...

That is sooo funny and your are a funny gal! teacher, friend, creator! i look forward to your post! lulu

Erika said...

I enjoyed this post so much!!! That is so wonderful, and the video...Awesome. Really sweet (and practical) moments. Even though I am not a mom (yet), and haven't had any experience in homeschooling I kind of now how fun it is, because I tutor 3 lovely girls :) Awesome job, right?
Hugs, Erika

Courtney said...

wow...I'm impressed! You have a special gift. Thanks for this cute look into your day job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails