1.16.2012

Behold what darkness lies beyond....


...this tacky hollow-core door:


Prepare yourself for horrors unknown...


I know.  It's ok if you need a moment to gather your wits again.  I'll wait.
(tapping foot)
So *that* atrocity, my pretties, is the focus of my next reno.
Not the city.
But you knew that.

There's gonna be some shuffling round here as another birdie will fly the coop in a month or so.  
This means I get to glory in my own personal version of traffic jam as a largish bedroom upstairs becomes uninhabited.  
I love uninhabited.
The possibilities make me giddy.  Ish.

current 'carnation of room about to be uninhabited--see full post when we surprised her with it HERE

But what does that uninhabited room have to do with the murky underworld of the 80's blue hearts and flowers tragedy downstairs?

I don't know.  Just work with me here.

Oh I remember.  
When child #4 moves out, child #5 will take her room leaving *his* room uninhabited (I told ya, just like traffic jam).  I intend to keep that downstairs room *mostly* uninhabited, and reincarnate it into a dreamy guest room and dumping ground for cra(p)ft room overflow from next door.  


Sooooo....I've been waiting for the inspiration to tie the guest room and guest bath together now that no one but guests will be using that bathroom as kids do their business in the upstairs bath, and the masters--me and hubs--do our master biz in the master bath (which is even more horror-show-worthy than that garden of hearts I showed you above. Quick!  Cover your eyes!  Hide your children!)

master bath so awful I don't even know where to start....

Ideas: possilby do a board and batten treatment in the bathroom, and use neutrals with hits of deep brown. Similar to this entryway's vibe.


Yeah, there'll be some pale aqua, 'cause, well, you know.  
Cottag-y and less berber carpet/orange woodwork-y, KWIM?  
I'm using paint I already have, but would LOOOOOVE to make a sassy shower curtain out of some swoony fabric such as this:  


Y'all know I'm a total sucker for big fat flowered fabric.  
And I couldn't very well use it when the bathroom berber was being pee'd on was being used by boys.  

via From House to Cozy Home, now a private blog and I can't figure out how to contact her!

The bedroom is already painted RL Canvas Natural, and I have the quilt and furniture ready.  
My goal is to have both rooms ready for my daughter and her hubs when they come to deliver their baby.  
I want them to have a private place to retreat while she labors, as well as a cozy place to rest afterwards. 

I love the colors here...and wouldn't it be cute to have the room decorated for the wee one's arrival?
Except we won't know the gender beforehand.  
Via Notes from a Cottage Industry.

Sorry to frighten you all this sun-shiney day with my dated decor.
It needed to be done.
I'm now accountable.
Not that posting projects ahead of time works every time.


9 comments:

Julie Harward said...

Good luck! That was a bit scary but I know you can do it! ;D

COTTAG3 said...

I guess not all "vintage" decor is a good thing. Well, if you get it all done, you easily have a year's worth of post just in those rooms. Good luck!

fixitfaerie said...

Wow. You have a lot of work ahead of you. But, it will be worth it! Good Luck! Paula

Dixie Redmond said...

I don't know. There's so much potential in that bathroom.

Dixie

suddenly simple said...

love the neutral bedroom. looks so cozy. looks like you'll stay busy for oh lets say....awhile! you're like the little engine. i can hear it now "i think i can, i think i can..... ".
enjoy

Shawna said...

I would love to have a row of books under my bed and nothing else! :) I think the baby room shown is gender neutral. And I LOVE Beatrix Potter.

Creative Chaos said...

OMG! I saw those first pics and thought someone was in my house. I have those same doors and knobs. Working toward changing that out. The turquoise room was beautiful. I thought it was from a magazine. I so love all of your ideas and wish I could accomplish more with my dated home.

Debra Howard said...

Oooooooo looks like you are on a great track (although that tiffany blue room has a dreamy headboard treatment with those sheers and lights what a great idea) I also love what you are proposing for the guest room. That bathroom can be redeemed too. I just did a rehab on a bathroom in my home too. Love love love that beautiful fabric. Can't wait to see the outcome.
Debbie

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

Oh, you are brave! There are places in my house that will NEVER be seen on the internet!

I like your inspiration photos, however. You'll make it all beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails