7.17.2013

::Marcie and My DIY Chalk Paint Review::


PSSSST...I'm no longer blogging here!
You can now find me at
-------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm learning fast that most pieces I pick up to flip are gonna take more time than I expect.


When you're working with old, character-filled, vintage furniture they are just about always gonna need some TLC.  Those that don't are the exception.

Case in point: I picked up this beauty for $5 at a yard sale (had already begun filling holes, and hubs had re-glued the bottom....notice the redneck bungee cord clamps?)


Unfortunately, after all the hard work he put in repairing the broken parts, when it dried we realized our lack of measuring meant the bottom drawer would not go back in....you can see it sticking out a bit in the pic above.

Which meant this:


A big, fat do-over. (sad face)

Hubs was a trooper, though, and I was finally able to finish her up for the sale this past weekend.  In my hurry to finish her, she didn't get a proper photo shoot, and I only got the one pic at the top of the post. Thankfully one of my Maven's snapped this pic from that day.  This is Marcie:


I used DIY chalk paint in a creamy white and a pale blue gray, and distressed her.  Sprayed the original handles white.  She sold to a gal who came back 3 different times :)

So, speaking of DIY chalk paint....I've fiddled with several recipes from Pinterest.  They all work fine, as I mentioned in THIS POST, but my favorite is simple calcium carbonate with a bit of water mixed into a quart of Sherwin Williams Color to Go.  I had been adding equal parts primer and sample paint as the samples don't have all the bonding stuff that regular paint does....but it dilutes the color a bit....for instance the grey drawers on Marcie is 'Comfort Gray', but diluted with the primer.

I just redid a desk using just calcium carb and the sample, and it worked just as well.  So I think I'll skip the primer, at least with SW sample quarts.

I use Diane's recipe from In My Own Style, and honestly that post can tell you anything I can but better. :)  She did a great job.

If I had unlimited funds for painting furniture, I would only use CeCe Caldwell and American Paint Co. products (and maybe milk paint too).  I'm finding that working with latex almost everyday leaves me worried about the toxins.  I'm susceptible to migraines, and in the heat, I've had to be careful.  I also worry about all the latex going down my drains when I clean my brushes......and DIY chalk paint doesn't distress or take wax quite as well as a the boutique brands.  Not enough for most to notice, but I do since I work with it so often.

Since I don't have unlimited funds, I'll continue to make my own, and purchase the boutique brands when I have some extra greenbacks floating around.  My hope is that I'll begin seeing enough profit from selling pieces (and using up the DIY and other products I'm not crazy about) to begin to use CeCe and APC exclusively.


What fun all this playing with paint is for me!  I'll have a review of Shabby Paints up later this week.

Marcie parties at: Mod Vintage Life, The DIY Show Off, Artsy Chicks Rule, Knick of Time, Farmhouse Porch, A Stroll Thru Life, Cozy Little House, Coastal Charm, Three Mango Seeds, The Charm of Home, Fluster Buster, Elizabeth & Co., Green Willow Pond, Domestically Speaking, City Farmhouse, Lilyfield Life, No Minimalist Here, Stone Gable, Start At Home, The Vintage Farmhouse, The Koenigs, Common Ground, The Charm of Home, French Country Cottage, Shabby Art Boutique, Jennifer Rizzo, Redoux Interiors, Mustard Seed Interiors, Craftberry Bush, Liz Marie Blog, My Repurposed Life, The Cottage Market, DIY Vintage Chic, Funky Junk Interiors


27 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

love the desk- it looks beautiful!

Three Birds Inspired said...

The colors you used on the desk are wonderful. Light and delicate - just perfect!

Debbie said...

My hub learned a lesson about glueing in a similar situation. Thank goodness he's also left behind gorilla glue for wood glue. It doesn't need to last forever! I looked back at your post on chalk paints and finishes, and it was a wonderful education. THanks,love the pieces I've seen there, and great luck on your turnovers.
Debbie

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

You're lucky to have such a handy husband. I love how soft the desk looks after.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

The desk is beautiful. It's all a learning experience, eh?

Marilyn Holeman said...

Hey Cindy,

I have this exact desk--in the before version. It was my dad's. It looks really pretty all gussied up. I love your makeovers. Thanks for sharing.

NanaDiana said...

Thanks, Cindy. I really appreciate your honesty in giving reviews about products. I know I can trust what you say since you aren't always gushing about how GREAT everything is! That desk turned out great-too bad you had to REdo it though- UGH- xo Diana

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I can't believe you picked it up for $5 - what a bargain! :)

Anonymous said...

I've just spent a long, long time reading your blog and am impressed with the content which is both informative and entertaining. You're a very talented lady! I admire the amount of work you've put into sharing your distressing techniques and other tips of the trade - I will be experimenting with some old pieces!
Regards and thanks for a 10/10 blog!
Alex

Unknown said...

I love it Cindy... especially the color combination.... Great job!!

Suzie @
Dorothy Sue and Millie B's too

Unknown said...

First of all that turned out gorgeous
AND SECOND OF ALL - the bungie clamps are BRILLIANT !!!
I can't wait to tell John about this.
We tie rope around it - I hold it down with my finger - he nearly severs the finger off as he tightens it and then as soon as we're ready it's hanging loose LMHO.......
XOXO

Khammany said...

It looks great! And so wonderful of your hubby to fix the drawer! I am a new follower and look forward to keeping up with your projects!
Khammany @ http://sweetinspiredhome.blogspot.com/

Hima Rajana said...

Wow, that's so cool how you were able to completely transform the desk- totally gorgeous! Stopping by from the inspired hop!
xo, Hima
Hima Hearts

Jamie Koenig said...

It turned out so pretty. I would love if you would link this up on our blog @ http://thekoenigscreate.blogspot.com/2013/08/mid-week-link-up.html We have a link party going on now till Friday.

Unknown said...

That is a great desk and lovely colours. I know what you mean about trying to make a profit and the cost of paints. Wishing you continued success in your business and a great week, Cindy.

The Domestic Fringe said...

Your desk came out beautifully in the end. Glad you got it sold too!

I just redid a desk and made some DIY chalk paint for the first time. It's very different, but I like it, especially for this project I did.

I did use a sample paint though. I didn't know it was different from regular paint. I'm always learning something!

Here's my desk.... http://thedomesticfringe.com/diy-trash-to-treasure-desk-renovation/

~FringeGirl

Donna Wilkes said...

I think your painting techniques are great with the homemade kind. Love this Marcie desk even if she did give you some trouble.

curiositaellya said...

This desk is pretty. Love the color. I love working with milk paint too!

Ellya

Unknown said...

Very Nice!!
The gang over at My Personal Accent think your post about is simply TERRIFIC! We would like to invite you to party with us at starting at 5:00 Thursday nights at our new Blog Strut Peacock Style Link Party to share your creative ideas. Come on over!! http://wp.me/P2Vf55-1K

srpprcrftr said...

Love your desk, so cute and with the colors you used, awesome.
Is that vase with flowers in it on little aqua table next to desk a McCoy? I love it
I always seem to notice things in photos like yours that aren't about the item being featured. Love your little aqua table also. I'm a nut for aqua and different tables. Great post and project. Happy days

DIY Vintage Chic said...

Looks great! You would never know there was a drawer issue! Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-3.html

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

The desk looks great! I usually find pieces I buy need a bit or work too. Thanks for the tips on DIY chalk paint. I, too, find myself gasping at the price of the brand names. Have a lovely weekend! Hugs :)

An Inviting Home said...

So true, you never know how hard a transformation will be. Great job on this one! Thanks for linking up at the Inspiration Gallery.

~Sarah

Maureen said...

Cute and....sold! Gotta love that!

It's so annoying when things like gluing the drawer makes it all haywire. It's even more annoying when the drawers are so tight that a layer of paint stops them from closing. Over time I've collected a ton of bungees, squeeze clamps and now C-clamps too. I was getting tired of improvising with cans of paint and other heavy stuff to hold things in place.

Beeutiful by Design said...

It turned out great! What would we do without our wonderful (and patient) husbands. Jennifer

Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

it turned out beautifully. we have a paint colour called Grey Comfort in Australia - it's probably different but i also love it. I also use ASCP but make DIY chalk paint also.
cheers Fiona

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

As always...simply beautiful! TFS...hugs...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails