5.17.2013

::Bess the Beachy Bench::

PSSSST...I'm no longer blogging here!
You can now find me at

-----------------------------------------------------------------


I'm really not happy with a lot of these pictures because IRL, this bench is gorg.
I did two separate photo shoots, but I couldn't get the ding dang camera's exposure right.


I've had this bench for ages upon ages....got it from my mom when she was into the primitive country stage, otherwise known to my friends growing up as "little house on the prairie-look".
It was blue with a mottled navy glazing.
Here's a before shot from Christmas a few years back.


I used ASCP in Provence first, then a light coat of Old White.
Then I distressed it with baby wipes.  
Yep.


I was going to use a wet towel, but baby wipes were on my trusty IKEA supply cart, so you know.


I love how it gently took off the white and smeared it a bit, so the effect was greyed.


I rubbed really hard in some spots all the way back to the original finish.  Took like, um, 4 seconds.


I got a refresher course on waxing from the happy folks at The Poppy Cottage, where I took my Annie Sloan 101 class.  I brought my bench in, and they showed me again how to use her wax.


I like how the wood knots show thru, as well as some of the previous glazing 'bumps' here and there.  
Very cool effects.


She's for sale if any locals are interested!


Thanks to the gals who posted their blog urls on my previous post....it's been super fun to plug you guys into my bloglovin' feed!.  If you haven't left your blog url, head over!  If you want to add me to your bloglovin' feed, you can do that HERE.

I'm bringing Bess the Beachy Bench to these parties, whose links will go live as soon as she shows up with her mexican bean dip:
The DIY Party, Made the Scene Monday, Mod Mix Monday, Pretty Things, Project Inspire{d}, The Scoop, Inspire Me Tuesday, Tweak It Tuesdays,Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays,Tuesdays Treasures, Knick of Time TuesdaysBrag About It, Time to Shine, Tuesdays at our Home, Be Inspired Link Party, Assets and Efforts Power of Paint, What's It Wednesday, Party Time,  Under $100 Linky, Transformation Thursdays, Treasure Hunt Thursdays, Open House Party, Be Inspired, Catch as Catch Can, Friday's @ Redoux, Simply Create, The Inspiration Gallery, Furniture Feature Friday, Fabulously Creative Friday Linky, Inspire Me PleaseFrugal Fridays, Feathered Nest Friday, Junkin' JoeParty Junk, A Favorite Thing



26 comments:

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Love the bench, you did a great job! Tomorrow I'm refinishing a vanity in the bathroom. CeCe Caldwell, chippy, crackle style. Beachy colors and a wish for luck if you please. Hopefully it will become a blog post if I don't get too artistically absorbed to remember to take pics.

Maureen said...

It looks awesome!

cairncottage said...

Adorable bench! Sometime, I want to try my hand at a small project with chalk paint and stain. It's something I've never tried, but have always wanted to. Thanks for stopping over at my blog and commenting!! Hope your weekend is going well.
Ann @ Cairn Cottage

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Cindy, that is a very, very cute bench! I keep wanting to try the ASCP, and I was looking at a piece today that I want to paint. You have given me the shot in the arm to do just that. Thanks!

Dropping by from Claudia's for a visit. So glad I did!

XO,

Sheila

Babajeza said...

This is a very nice bench! I must put "bench" on my thrift store shopping list. :-)

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

Such a beautiful bench!

Have a great weekend!
Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.ca

Claudia said...

You did a wonderful job with the bench, Cindy. Love the colors!

Thanks so much for joining in this week.

xo
Claudia

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Such a fun redo, love the blue!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...

I like the colour you achieved. I'm sure you could build a bench of your own. First measure yours (if you still have it) and then buy or find wood and cut to those lengths. I made a similar one and blogged about it here: http://followyourheartwoodworking.blogspot.ca/2011/09/i-made-bench-out-of-old-barn-board.html

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Really pretty - I love the beachy feel. I am following from MHC and look forward to reading more :-)

Chris at Red Gate Farm said...

I love how it turned out... and I'll have to give the baby wipes idea a whirl :)

~Chris

Krista Aasen said...

It is sooo pretty! I love it. Makes me want to build a little bench like this:) And I do have lots of baby wipes hanging around here... Thanks for the tip!
Krista

bj said...

A really cute bench..loved it before with the baskets and love it now.
Benches are great around the house.
Over from Tweak

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love the bench, how perfect is that. Thanks tons for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Maria Elena said...

Your bench is beautiful! Love the color! I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

Anonymous said...

Adorable bench-great color!

We wanted to thank you for linking up this wonderful post to the BeBetsy BRAG ABOUT IT Tuesday Link and Hop.

Hope to see you next week-come on by and comment! BeBetsy Link and Hop

the best to you,
Sharon and Denise

srpprcrftr said...

It just so happens we used to make benches like that and some smaller ones for foot stools and plant stands, whatever somebody wants to use them for. We're going to start making them again.
I have a bigger one similar to yours, little deeper I've had since hubs made it for me for Anniversary in MT, been awhile since we lived there. It's been painted different colors but it's so sturdy, hard to hurt it. Still have couple of smaller ones also.
The benches and stools were one of our best sellers in MT and here in CO. For some reason people in KY (lived after MT) just didn't like them.
I love colors you did on yours and how the finish turned out, will have to do that on couple of ours only think I'll do one in aqua with white and another in a pretty coral with white. Very beachy, summery.
We still use our anniversary bench in our room as a sit down place for shoe taking offs, putting on's. Really handy. I used to use as a coffee table in MT. Sure glad you shared your bench, it's looking quite summery.

Anonymous said...

Ha! You're so funny. I was one of those little house moms so I hear ya! :)

I'll have to remember the baby wipes tip...

Thanks for the link to the waxing info! ♥

Alison @ Rubylicious Bespoke said...

Looks great, love it

Donna Wilkes said...

I'll take a stack of those, please! Love the color and the distressing. Baby wipes? - okay, I'll try that.

Art and Sand said...

Your bench turned out so pretty.

I had to laugh at your "little house on the prairie" comment. My house was totally Americana for years. I loved it, but don't think I could ever go dark again.

Heather said...

I love your beachy bench - thanks for sharing on Project Inspired! Pinned!!

Unknown said...

I love your beachy bench Cindy! Featuring you tomorrow at the Pretty Things party :)

xo, Tanya
twelveoeight.blogspot.com

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love the beachy feel of your bench Cindy!

Unknown said...

Love your bench and the finish is awesome! These are still so popular at the shows, we always sell every one we bring so I know you won't have it long!
http://gardenhouseliving.com

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

Your bench is simply beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing with us : ) hugs...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails