10.31.2009

Makin' it with what'cha have.

I love me some linky parties, and as I peruse all the creative ideas for home decor my creative juices get to pumping and I start making lists of all the stuff I need to pick up at Hobby Blobby or JoAnns or Home Depot...but lately my stash of crafty and creative stuff is overwhelming and my garage is full of projects lamenting in spider webs.  Yikes.

Now I'm all for finding thrifty ways to knock off the Big Guys....and I do it a lot.  I'm also all for finding thrifty ways to knock off talented bloggers...and I do that a lot too.  But lately I've been wanting to use up what I have.  Kinda force myself to use my own ingenuity and creativity to come up with unique, beautiful things for my home using what's already laying around here.  Because, let's face it, we've all been hording supplies for those projects we've bookmarked from other places. Or stashing away materials from that 'ah ha' moment we had while visiting Michaels (then promptly threw the bag and it's contents in a closet somewhere.)

So here's a challenge....in a couple weeks, let's say oh, around Nov 16th-ish, I want to host a party.  



Now if you can complete a project using totally what you have on hand Hooray!....but I also know sometimes in order to complete something you'll need to run out and get some little thing (ie: glue, paint brush, thread, etc).  The idea here is to use the 'raw' materials you have as much as possible.  Have a yard of fabric stashed away?  Make a pillow.  Bought some scrapbooking stuff?  Make a frame.  Bought a gallon of paint or 3 cans of spraypaint?  Paint that room or piece of furniture.  See what I mean?

I'm gonna use up what I have before buying one.more.thing. for my home.  I'm gonna revisit my saved links and see what stuff I already have to copy someone else's cool project.  I'm gonna put my two mommy brain cells together and come up with some original arts and crafts and projects....and I'm gonna try to do it without spending any more money.





What raw materials are awaiting your magic touch?  Have more than one project like that?  Up for the challenge?  If I have enough interest, I'll work up a real button, start an affair with Mr. Linky,  and we'll be off to the races. I'll even have a little giveaway involved.  Leave me a comment and let me know how you really feel.  Good idea?  Not so good idea?  Inquiring minds want to know.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will certainly be IN on this one! I love this idea, and need it to get some of the collected stuff out and on display! You are a GENIUS!

Unknown said...

OH! I was just thinking the same thing myself; both the idea and a related party! This is much better than trying to figure out if I can host a party--I can spend the time creating and link to your party. :) Please do this!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Hurry! I need a new headboard with no funds avail so I found an old door, metal clad siding and an old gate. It's out there but I think it's got a coolness factor working in it's favor. And... I had it all on hand! Yeeehaw!

I'll be there but it may be old news by then. No matter, I'll do something else and save it for your party.

Name your date.

I'm gonna tell you a little secret. When you are forced to make things out of what you already have, you have to get more creative and think outside of the box. That can be a good thing because you push yourself. Some of my best stuff comes in the tightest of financial times for me. :)

Donna

Unknown said...

I like a challenge and I like the idea of this party. I do not possess the necessary skills and talents as many of you bloggers do; but that hasn't stopped me yet! If I happen to flop, at least I'll flop well! ;-) If I can come up with an idea, I'll join in on the fun!

Nancy

Tammy said...

I love the idea and my craft space is exploding so I need to do just what you said- work with what I have. I could do some Christmas gifts this way. Count me in.
Oh and on the tack question. I am going to just take regular flat head tacks and glue cool old things on them. Such as: buttons, typewriter keys, old jewelry broaches, anything old and tiny is fair game. :)
tammy

Katie@Yoga Gal said...

Thumbs up! Count me in!

Unknown said...

Love the idea! Count me in. I have "tons too much" in my "to-do" closet.

Charla

Junk Exchange said...

sounds like fun - would like to participate - can men folk join in?

troy

Cindy said...

What a fabulous idea! I have so much STUFF!!!

Anonymous said...

I guess that now I have to get past my lazy streak and actually start doing, huh? Sounds like this might be just what I need to get going!

Anonymous said...

I put a link on my sidebar for you!

Flat Creek Farm said...

If Ms. Procrastinator here can get off her rear... this could really be a good thing! Fantastic idea. I will stay tuned and may even see what I can come up with. Use what ya have... I like it. A lot! -Tammy

Leanne said...

Such a great idea. Count me in for this party. I belong to a card club and sometimes we challenge ourselves to use what we have and not go out and buy one more pretty paper or sparkly embellishment. We turned out some beautiful cards with no money out of pocket.

Catherine @ van Breugel Design said...

I'm in and the wheels are already turning. I love this idea. My Husband works in an industry that is really up and down and there have been many lean times, and that always makes me start looking at everything differently and it makes me become way more resourceful.

Old Time Cindy said...

Using what you have is the only way to go. One becomes more original and creative that way. I believe in being very thrifty and as an auction queen (yes, that is my official title), I spent the summer acquiring craft materials and items to redo for pennies. I love the idea of a party.
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

Anonymous said...

I'd love to join in too! Let us know when your button is ready, and I'll add it to my blog!
:)
Zuzu

Junkie Gems said...

Fantastic I'm in. Never done one of these parties. I already have a project in mind.
Thanks for the invite

Its So Very Cheri said...

What a great linky party. I'll post it to my side bar of parties.

Cheri

dmvoccola said...

Yes, I want to come to your party, but please give me more than 24 hours notice! I haven't put things off this long for nothing. I appreciate the push, but be realistic, okay? :) A linky party is better motivation than a visit from the in-laws. :)

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

I came over from A Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words. I believe this is the first time I have visited your blog. I would love to join your party. I am adding your blog to follow.

Miss Gracie's House said...

I have so much stuff that I just might get to someday...this will be a great challenge to do just 1 of them...and then who knows what might happen?!
Count me in!
Rene'

Nepperess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nepperess said...

This year's Christmas theme is "use what you have" not only because money is tight, but also because I have so many things I could use! So I'd love to join in your party, and share some ornaments I've been working on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails