11.20.2010

Um, the score *was* at Wallpaper 2, Harveys 0

PSSSST...I'm no longer blogging here!
You can now find me at

-----------------------------------------------------------------


I'm afraid I've had to say a couple cuss words....or 10.  Above is the 2nd 15ft strip of beadboard wallpaper that refused to go up straight.  Hubs and I tried by ourselves last night, and had to admit defeat after failing to get the first piece up.  Today, with the help of my daughter and husband, we managed to get the first piece up, only to have this second strip whip our hineys again.


See that texture?  That's the mudding that got saturated when we put the second strip up and wouldn't allow the paper to manuever at all once we started putting it up.  That translates to crinkles and uneven seams that can't be fudged.   Fail.

So we stopped, cried, gave up, cussed, then had a pow-wow.

We decided to pull out the big guns...
#1

#2

First, we primed the ceiling to seal that sticky, icky mudding.  Second, we got impatient and used a hair dryer on the ceiling.  Yes we did.

Here is hubs (just after blowing a fuse between using the lamp tree and the hairdryer) telling me I'd "better not be putting this on the blog."


Ok Hubs.  Whatever you say.


Then we finally got our groove on and put up 6 strips in an hour.  Still have a bit left to do tomorrow.  Here's our soul train in action:







Iff'n you're brave enough to try this, don't even think about doing it with less than 4 people.  Don't believe me?
Here, watch this:



Yay! I'm finally beginning to see the progress, and I'm likin' it.








The tricks that helped the most:
1.Get 3 other people who love you enough to stand around with their arms up in the air for significant amounts of time and don't mind wallpaper goo in their hair.  Feed them chili.
2. Make sure your ceiling is sealed and/or painted.  Your paper has to be able to wiggle easily when you're placing it.
3. Only soak the paper in the water for a few seconds before pulling it out and booking it.  Book it for 7-8 minutes.
4.  Start at one end, but only work along the seam where it butts up to the previous piece moving back a few feet, THEN start smoothing with your brush going straight out to the side....working your way back to the starting wall.  You can see us do this in the video and it made a HUGE difference in getting the paper lined up properly.  Also make sure the folks with strong arms that love you are holding the other booked end aligned with the edge of the previous piece.
5. Once the paper is all up and the seams are lined up, go back quickly and gently with the brush to remove bubbles, and using your fingers to flatten any creases.  Lastly, go back over it with a damp sponge, especially along the seam and outside edge.

Feel free to ask questions.  This isn't a project for the faint of heart (or weak of arms), but it can be done, and without too much frustration if you have lots of help.  My son in law silently mouthed the words "we will not be doing this in our place" to my daughter at one point.  It's intense.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about the giveaway....I'll try to get to it tomorrow :)  Tonight I have to paint the trim pieces that will hopefully go up tomorrow as well.

Oh, and I made a coffee filter wreath and glittered the life out of some ornaments and chipboard letters.  I had to do something to feel productive and get over my frustration last night when our wallpapering adventure turned sour.  Nothing like a bit of hot glue and glitter to make you feel better.  Oh, and little debbies, of course.


43 comments:

Teresa@1800 Farmhouse Rd said...

Bless your heart. I know putting wall paper on the ceiling is not easy, it is not easy to do period! But hey, your pics look great. Can't wait to see your finished product. Teresa

Traci said...

I hate you had such a hard time but I love your post - especially the part about feeding them Chili....you are so funny! Can't wait to see it finished!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

OMGosh! I feel for ya! Working over your head is exhaustive! Great job. Thanks for sharing your do's and don'ts.
can't wait to see it all finished!
gail
ps yay for the kiddos helping out!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

That's looking so good!!! Just like the real thing. But remind me never, ever to try this project. ;)

Teri said...

Wow! I'll just scratch that idea off my list... my arms would fall off! Y'all have way more patience than I have.

Looking forward to seeing the finished ceiling.

Laurie at Turner Farm said...

My hats off to you girl, we tried several years ago, in an older home, what a job!!

Look forward to seeing it once you've got it all up and looking fabulous.

Judy said...

I had to laugh when I saw this...looks like something that would happen to me! That pic of your husband's face is priceless...and I can imagine what kind of words my hubby would say. When we put up the beadboard wallpaper in my grandson's bedroom it went pretty smooth, of course, we weren't putting it on the ceiling. In case I decide to put some on MY ceiling, can I have your phone number so ya'll can come help me?
LOL!

Judy

Tammy said...

OMgoodness. YOu all certainly had one heck of an ordeal didn't you? I like seeing that it is going up much better and it looks wonderful I might add. Hang in there - I am sure it will be like childbirth -once you are done you'll forget all about the pain. YEAH RIGHT.:)

Eat some lil'debbies and it will be alright.
tammy

Cassie Bustamante said...

that last pic is hilarious! glad it's getting there now. it really is looking good and will be worth it in the end.

COTTAG3 said...

oh but it's looking soooo good! It's going to be so worth it!

Tania Pelletier said...

Wow! That looks like a LOT of work... I don't know if I have that many people that love me! LOL!

Tania

Carol @ A Bird in Hand said...

Holy cow!!! I've got to hand it to you....and everyone. I would have most likely given up. I would never know that wasn't real beadboard. It looks incredible!!

Blessed Serendipity said...

That beadboard wallpaper really is amazing. It actually looks like beadboard. Could you please post where you found it and how much it costs per roll? Thank you! Can't wait to see the final results.

-Danielle

hilary@oldhousetruelove said...

OMG Cindy! You guys are GREAT! Never give up ;) It is looking fantastic!

NanaDiana said...

Once upon a time my cousins and I wallpapered a ceiling with STRIPES in their old farmhouse. OMG- I vowed that I would never wallpaper another ceiling. I think I did one more and THAT WAS IT!

You go girl...you look like you got the hang of it now (get it? hang? wallpaper?-never mind). It IS going to be beautiful once it is all done! Just keep repeating..I CAN DO THIS...I CAN DO THIS...I AM NOT NUTS...I AM NOT NUTS....okay bye

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

Looking good girlie, looking good! I just don't think this would work for us since we have a cathedral ceiling in the family room! Plus cutting out for the skylights might be hard. Maybe the panels might be better for us to cover the cheese!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

It is going to look great - but sorry your are having such a time getting it to stay up. You are braver than I am even starting a project like that.
Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
Hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Oh, how frustrating! I'm glad you finally got it to work. It's going to look amazing!

kathie said...

Love the teamwork!! It all looks great, it's going to be fabulous finished :)

cheryl said...

Ummmm...this is a shout out to Jayme. Sweet Jayme, you remember me telling you we should put beadboard wallpaper up on your porch ceiling? Well, neveryoumind what I said. If you insist, I'll be one of your 4, but Cindy WILL be our leader. Ya HEAR?
And Cindy...I got the shams and I'm in LOVE! Now, I'm thinking I might need to paint my bedroom walls. Somebody STOP ME!!!
Thanks a bunch!!

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Oh my gosh... I gasped when I saw the pile. And then rejoiced when I saw the progress. Thank goodness! Can't wait to see this one done!

Donna
http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

Polly said...

That is teamwork at its finest!!! It is looking great, and all the efforts will surely pay off!! I'm impressed....my husband and I would have ended up divorced after a project like this!! :-)

Suzanne said...

"Express your emotions, it's a good thing. Express your emotions, express your emotions".

The best part of the whole video!!

My Shabby Streamside Studio said...

Wow! You have a crew! Lucky! Thanks for sharing and keep going!


P.S. – I’m having a Jeanne d’Arc Living Christmas Giveaway!

Bisous,
Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/


FairfieldHouse said...

Perspiration and determination will get any job done! Sorry for the frustrations you were met with. The end product was well worth it -- looks great so far!

Your Friend,
Deborah

Claudia said...

Oh boy. What a bear of a job! I don't think I would be up to it! Thank goodness you got some loving help from the family -

It will all be worth it, you know. It is already looking great!

xo
Claudia

Suzanne said...

There are two things (early on in our marriage) that my husband and I agreed never to do together again. Once was tiling and the other wallpapering. Too much stress -- too short of tempers. We gave it 30 years and tried both again. I guess we had learned a little something in those years because the word "separation" didn't come up that time! ;o) I honestly can't imagine wallpapering a ceiling. The result is beyond fabulous! I want to try this, but I'm not sure my marriage would survive. Might have to hire it out. Sooo very beautiful!

Katie Olthoff said...

Oh wow! Looks like it's totally going to be worth it, though! Gorgeous ceiling!

I wanted to put textured walpaper (like old tin) on my kitchen ceiling, and my uncle the wallpaper expert said he wouldn't do it for me, so we abandoned the idea. :)

Amy Kinser said...

Great video documentary....Love the team work.

It's gonna look fantastic, Cindy.

Anonymous said...

Hi

We have put wallpaper on our ceiling bathroom that was about a 8' by 7' ft room and it was not so bad...but, with the size of your room and having to deal with the removal and sealant issues, was it worth it monetarily to go that way? I guess what I am asking would it not have been more time and cost effective to use the panel boards of bead board?

Here in Canada with taxes a roll of the same wallpaper runs 20 dollars plus taxes, and I believe the bead board panels...ummm around 35 dollars...

I was just wondering why you chose wallpaper?

Or did you cover this in a previous post that I missed?

Melissa

Anonymous said...

I am loving the ceiling. I know I would never get enough help around here to do it in my home, so I am just going to have to live vicariously through you ;o)

Marilyn Holeman said...

Hi Cindy, I had to ask. Do you still think it was worth it to put up the wallpaper vs.using the actual panels? I think it's looking great! Have a blessed Thanksgiving! (For some reason, the video link didn't come through for me. Ah well.)

Lori Lynn said...

I don't think I love ANYTHING THAT much. Nor do I think I could find that many friends/relatives that love ME that much! LOL!
♥´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*´¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•´♥ Lori Lynn ♥

Brenda Pruitt said...

I want to see the goodies you made while working off your beadboard wallpaper frustration, Cindy. Don't worry. I won't even attempt this job.
Brenda

Kim @ A Brush of Whimsy said...

Wow! What a project! Can't wait to see it all done! :)

Lindy said...

I HAVE done this. Different paper -- same problem. I feel for you but it's going to look great!

Jayme Goffin, The Coop Keeper said...

Cindy and Cheryl - too late - I want this on my porch! I do - so, Cindy, Cheryl, and me - I just need one more victim to put it up. Nice thing, it's a small area. Chris deserves a medal. What a guy! C-Lou - I'm waiting with bacon baited breath to see the finished product!

Jess said...

I feel for you! I hate when things like this happen w/ a project.

Michele Lewis said...

Do you ever sleep? How you do it all is amazing to me. btw have the same blow dryer :) (I know a totally type 1 thing to say something totally not related!) I'd say you're an inspiration but I get tired watching you. I'll hire someone to do it for me. HUGS!

Jenn said...

I love the teamwork!!!

Lori said...

First of all, Todd would NEVER. Secondly, who took the pictures?

judi said...

can't say that i've ever tried wallpapering a ceiling. just painting one is hard work with holding your arms up overhead! i give you and your wonderful family 4 thumbs up for all the frustration and the final success.
i'm sure you'll love the result and that you did it yourselves!

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

It will be worth it in the end. It's just too bad it's such a colossal pain the butt now! I think it's going to look fabulous. You have a great family to be willing to do this for you. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails