9.27.2009

This week's linky parties...

Almost every day of the week I link up my newest decorating projects, junking steals, trash to treasure transformations, room makeovers, or seasonal vignettes at these gal's blog parties. They are a fab.u.lous. way to pick up inspiration from all over the freaking place. There are soooo many talented women out there! It's also a fairly easy way to find those with similar decorating styles and budgets and subscribe to them in a reader or follow them each day. Totally addicting past-time, gotta warn ya *wink* (I'll activate the links on the appropriate day)

Sherri's The Shades of Pink on Sunday evenings:



DIY Show Off on Mondays:
The DIY Show Off


Cheri's It's So Very Cheri on Mondays:



Kim's Twice Remembered on Mondays (last one for awhile):



Susan's Between Naps on the Porch on Mondays:



Rhoda's Southern Hospitality on Mondays:



Kimba's A Soft Place to Land on Tuesdays:




Kristen's We are THAT family on Wednesdays:

Surprise party at DIY!



Gina's The Shabby Chic Cottage on Thursdays:



Melissa's The Inspired Room for Beautiful Life Fridays:


Along the way with K + J on Saturdays:












Well, this week I'm showing off my Salavation Army $11 coffee table makeover (and a few others below). Picked 'er up last week after I heard her quietly sniffling in between an orange velour couch from the 70's and a beat up metal file cabinet that looked to have been a contestant on 'kick it to the curb'.

Here she is in all her glittery nail polished, heart-stickered, scratched, and broken-legged glory:

She was begging me to make her into a happily ever after story....


I obliged :o) The Mister fixed the broken leg (center leg across the middle on the bottom was cracked in half and hanging by a thread). I pried off the sparkly stickers, sanded down her top and used dark walnut gel stain and some wipe on poly. Then I re-spray painted her shapely legs in heirloom white. Can't you hear her screaming "thank you thank you thank you!!!"




By the way, there's the couch I mentioned in this post that my folks helped us buy. And I mentioned as well that I'm actually letting my little peoples sit on it. I'm a nice mommy that way sometimes. This is our reading/computer room. I'm still working on it, though, and I'll post a 'big reveal' sometime in the next month or so. Or not. Depends on how those Home Depot painting drop cloth drapes work out. You know.


And since these sit in the same room, here are the IKEA bookshelves I posted the tutorial about. I HATE arranging bookshelves, so they sat empty for like a month. I'm still not content with them,
but I'm getting close.


All you homeschooling mamas out there can drool over my father-in-law's collection of original Landmark history books. I took the covers off to reveal the charming colors you see here. And my Dr. Suess collection, my husband's childhood storybook collection, and a few odds and ends that also came from his dad are snuggled up to them as well. I'd love to work my way thru the Landmarks, reading to my boys each night thru the winter. They are truly classic stories, written by some of the last century's most celebrated novelists. A GREAT way to teach your kids about our nation's history in story form.


And lastly, I found this wooden magazine rack at a consignment store, painted her and originally thought I'd use it like this.....but I thought it would be cool to set it near my aqua couch and display my magazines for each month (October right now). That way I can see all the seasonal ideas in one lump of inspiration each month. And get overwhelmed. And end up vegging on the 'puter. And for all of us who got gyped into Family Circle when our beloved Country Home went under, I'd just like to say:

NOT EVEN CLOSE.
*sigh*

So...what say you? Did my coffee table transform to your liking? How 'bout those bookshelves? Does displaying magazines seasonally seem too much like a tacky doctor's office?


Lots more inspiration at Sheri's, Kim's, Kimm's, Susan's, Kimba's, Kristen's, Gina's, and K+J's this week....Go Dog Go!






29 comments:

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

You did that old coffee table proud! Beautiful redo!!

Its So Very Cheri said...

You did a great job. It looks good in contrast to your couch. The great thing is--if you decide you want part of it black or all white it just takes paint.

Cheri

Anonymous said...

The table looks wonderful!

I have a linky party going on over at my place, check it out! http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/09/room-month-shade-tutorial.html

Pine Tree Home said...

Wow, it sure is amazing what a little paint and elbow grease can do. BTW, I love those bookshelves!

Jen said...

The coffee table is TDF! Way to go!

Andrea said...

Gorgeous, Gorgeous, Gorgeous!

Marigene said...

That coffee table is perfect in front of that gorgeous couch. Love, love, love that color!

Anonymous said...

The coffee table turned out beautifully!!!
thanks for sharing!

blessings
mary

nannykim at spindle cottage said...

Wow--love how the coffee table came out and I will definetly be interested to see what you do with the drop cloths...love the glass stuff on top of the bookcase and love that mag. rack!!

Kammy said...

I love that coffee table - might have to steal it from you, LOL !
Kammy
p.s. seriously - great job !!!!

Holly said...

The coffee table is fabulous, the bookshelves look great, and I love, love, love the magazine rack!

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

Hi Cindy, your table turned out fabulous and looks wonderful in your room...great job!!!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Wow!! The table is so gorgeous!!

happileah said...

I would love a magazine rack like that! Great job on the table too, it's Beautifuk!!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Great transformation. A good example that you don't have to totally redo a piece, just make it be the best version of itself. I love the wood top and the white legs. Godd job! I totally agree about the Family Circle/Country Home thing...so sad and not the same. Come visit my blog if you get the chance!

gail@My Repurposed Life said...

i love, love, love your table!
magazines... I like shutter magazine holders myself. But that baby does the trick! :)
gail

Unknown said...

I am IN LOVE with that room!!! I love the blues and other soft colors you've chosen. That coffee table is divine. You did a fabulous job! thanks for linking up to Trash to Treasure Tuesday!

Twice Remembered said...

That coffee table redo is fantastic - she's going to love you forever now! The stain color you chose was a nice choice. Love it!

Julie said...

Really cute! Love the couch. And I love the two tone of the table with the natural wood and the white legs.

Heidi said...

Your table looks fabulous. The wood is so rich and warm. Amazing what a little elbow grease and some love and imagination will do for a worn out piece of furniture, isn't it? I posted my own coffee table re-do ($10 - Goodwill) a while back, I felt so proud when it was finished and moved into it's new spot in the family room!
BTW - there's a giveaway at my place, hope you'll come by and check it out!
Heidi - Heart and Home

Nancy @ Live love laugh said...

That table looks beautiful! I love the legs on it! Your bookshelves look agreat and I think the mag display is fun. I am terrible about my magazines...I can't part with them!
~Nancy

Mandy said...

I love your refinish - it's perfect!

Leanne said...

I love the table. Ohh, I love the map on the wall too. Beautiful room too. I'm having a giveaway. Stop by and enter if you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking up to my party, come back next week!
http://theshadesofpink.blogspot.com/2009/09/room-month-shade-tutorial.html

Roeshel said...

What a beautiful room! I loved your coffee table makeover story and she is beautiful! Great job on the magazine rack too! Mine are all scattered in different rooms and I have to go hunting for them when I have the time to finally read one. I love your creative idea for organization. Can't wait to see the drapes!

Thanks so much for linking to The DIY Show Off. ;)

Roeshel

Tricia said...

GORGEOUS!!! Love the painted and stained finish combo. The whole room is wonderful!

XO*Tricia

Shanty 2 Chic said...

LOVE the legs on that table... SO jealous!! Way to go!!
~Whitney

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

It looks like that table was meant to be that way all along. YUM!

p.s Arranging bookshelves is my favorite....does that mean there's something wrong with me??

Rachel~Wildflower Photography Studio and Wildflower Creative said...

You have such a cute house! LOVE the coffee table and the color of your couch is fab! :)

Smiles,
Rachel

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails