11.30.2011

Ye Olde Mantel

PSSSST...I'm no longer blogging here!
You can now find me at

-----------------------------------------------------------------


Yes, dear readers, the holly days are upon us and I started the decorating festivities with ye olde mantel.  
Last year I glittered the crap outta it and decided this year would be a more natural, woodsy feel.


Not that the glittery yumminess is banned to the bottom of the red and green plastic bin....
nay, it will find a home elsewhere, if not a bit more subdued.
Ahem.
Here we go.


I went with IKEA lanterns used in my back porch vignette last year,


Twiggy trees picked up on sale at JoAnn's:



Faux greenery bought a couple years ago at Hob Blob.


Threw in some wee white birds, ginormous pincones in painted terra cotta pots, my smallish shabby star and the twiggy wreath that seems to always find a way up there.


Oh yeah, and the white mirror hubs and I built awhile back.


Speaking of pinecones (was I?), they're the reason I've been kinda gone from ye olde blogge of late.
Every day for the last 6 weeks I've been crafting for my daughter's wedding.
(See engagement pics here.)

(Gee, see any pinecones?)

We're doing a rustic chic winter theme, so I'm up to my eyeballs in pinecones and burlap.
200+ yards of the stuff, and 12 boxes of cones in all shapes and sizes, which I baked in small batches to kill vermin and open them up.
Did ya know you needed to do that with cones you find hither and thither?
Me neither.


(other biggish barn star, with twiggy, pineconey goodness next to our entertainment center)

So, the last week I took some much needed time off from wedding crafting,
and snuck in some Christmas crafting as well.
For starters, the stockings:


I never set out to make stockings every year (see past mantels here, here, and here),
but somehow that's what happens.
Only this year, I used ready made ones from Dollar Tree and just embellished with some ribbon, wee twig wreaths and green metallic painted wood initials.
(couples share stockings. One of the perks of staying single.)


You could say I sorta cheated, and I would have to agree, although I don't give a flip.


Last year's glitterfied burlap versions are a hit on pinterest these days, and I've answered so many ding dang emails asking "do I sell them, would I sell them, how do you make them, etc."
The definitive answer is "maybe next year, yes I sold them to a pinterest follower, and no not this year."


Anyway, I festified some other corners of the room, with woodlandness too:


I exchanged the blue beadedboard doors for the brown painted shutters,
since I wasn't using the blue mirror on the mantel this season.


And filled my empty frame collage with a bit of rustic embellishment.
Seeing as I had some pinecones laying about and all.


View from the fireplace:
(thinkin' that tiny pinecone sway needs some friends)


So that's it for the family room.
I love how warm and cozy it looks.  I even dug out a couple down throws for the couch.
All ready for an evening of hot cocoa and Elf.
(smiling's my favorite)
We'll cut our tree this weekend and get busy decorating that, but everything else is already dressed up.
I'll reveal those areas in the coming days.


Lots of holiday linkys to join, so I'm motivated to dig out from the pile of burlap and pinecones, get my Christmas decorating mojo on, and fire up the camera.


And I pinky promise to show you tons of wedding pictures of all our craftiness the day after,
which happens to be New Year's Eve.
Then I'll take a long winter's nap.


I'll bring my mantel to the parties in my side bar link as well as these seasonal linky's:
(links will be live the day of the party)
From My Front Porch to Yours Dec. 5th
TenJuneBlog Dec 6th
Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Dec. 6th
Southern Hospitality Dec. 7th
Homes Stories from A to Z Dec. 8th
Funky Junk's Saturday Night Special Dec. 9th
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
See Crafty Christmas Vignettes HERE
See Glitterfied Rusticness in the dining room HERE
See the Tannenbaum Trio HERE
See how I wrapped the crap HERE


32 comments:

Sissie's Shabby Cottage said...

Your home looks really pretty and festive. Love the mantel and I love the natural look.

hugs
Sissie

{northern cottage} said...

Oh so very pretty ... Just calm and soothing and plain delightful!!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

I love the natural look! Everything looks beautiful. I love the mantel so much!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love the woodsy nature theme for the holidays. Your mantel is gorgeous. We'd love to have you share it at our "What's It Wednesday" linky party open now. Hope you can make it!
Hugs,
Patti

Julie Harward said...

That is the most gorgeous fireplace and mantel I have seen..it should be in a magazine! :D

Wilson's Winners said...

Looks great! we are enjoying your last year's stockings!!! LOL - I need to send you a picture!! WE LOVE THEM!!!

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...

You mantel look so beautiful. Love the natural feel to it.

I didn't realize the wedding was coming up so soon. You have been a busy beaver! Can't wait to see.

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

I love it when my pinecones lay about.

First of all, the fact that your house is ALREADY DECORATED when you have a WEDDING TO DEAL WITH is....well, I dunno what it is. In any case YOU'RE AMAZING.

Secondly, did you make your stick stars? I'm inspired and think I'm gonna make one. Prolly. If I can finish....I mean HELP finish...my sons science fair project sometime before it's due....which would mean I need to stop leaving comments and get off the computer already...whatev. Anyway, I'm gonna make one and if you've got directions lurking on your site HOOK A SISTER UP. Otherwise, I'll wing it.

(and in reality? I do that better than following directions anyways)

Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

I love the woodlandness theme! It's so pretty, and so simple. I'll bet the wedding will be nothing short of spectacular!
I did not know you had to bake critters out of pine cones. Does it stink?

foreverdecorating said...

I adore your holiday decor. It's fun, it's unique and it's interesting.

Cathy Cobblestone said...

Oh Cindy - it is beautiful - I love the "woodland" look yet again, I loved the glittery goodness from last year too. You have just got it going on - that's all. And as for your daughter - congratulations - I bet her wedding will be beyond beautiful because you just know how to add those special touches. May you have a blessed Christmas and try to breathe through the wedding prep - I know - it is chaotic! Merry Christmas!

Southwest Cottage Designs said...

It's all so very Christmasy and pretty. I love the mirror, pine cones, and lanterns - and the shutters. Beautiful!

Amy W. said...

definately feel inspired. your home is heavenly! love the earthy feel and I can almost feel the comfort of curling up on your sofa with one of those down blankies. ;)

very impressed with your holiday decor up in the midst of this wonderful wedding coming up. take a moment to breath. :)

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Looks great...fun to change it up each year isn't it??? Laurel@chippingwithcharm

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

I love it Cindy. I did the same thing this year and toned it down...more peaceful and serene...LOVE those pinecones! They are HUGE!!

Lou Cinda

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Stunning Cindy, stunning! Love the contrasts of white and chocolate, and how you managed to find faux greens that look real is beyond me! Wow!

Shared on FJI Facebook for SNS 110 and pinned. :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150481932341141&set=a.192514281140.164586.175378011140&type=1&theater

Donna

The Corson Cottage said...

Your home looks lovely for the holidays! I love your cottage look. I hope you'll visit The Corson Cottage sometime and share this at our {Home for the Holidays} link party. Carrie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Everything is just Beautiful! I went and peaked at the last 2 years as well, and they are very pretty also! You are very creative! I'm now a follower!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Hi, from your newest follower!

WOW, you really have the rustic look, nailed! I wish I could get my mantle to look like that!

I have those same little lanterns in black from Ikea. Love your birdcages, too.

If would love it if you would share this - or any other of your amazing posts - with us at our weekly Friday FREE-FOR-ALL Linky Party.
(It's still open.)

http://www.cookingatcafed.com/2011/12/friday-free-for-all-linky-party-120211.html

All the best,
~ Dana at Cooking at Cafe D

Vintage Home said...

I am crazy about your huge pine cones and that petite twig wreath! it all looks fabulous!

Unknown said...

Absolutely gorgeous mantel and stockings! I love your rustic theme and how you brought it all together throughout your beautiful home.

Pamela said...

Thanx for coming to the party Cindy! Your mantle is beautiful and I love the shutter display!

Anonymous said...

Your mantel is so pretty! I love the natural look with those sweet trees and pinecones. Your entire room is lovely.
be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Honey at 2805 said...

Your mantel and your home are beautiful! Thanks for linking your fabulous room to Potpourri Friday!

Stephanie from GardenTherapy.ca said...

beautiful room and decorations!

poppilinnstudios said...

Love the natural, woodsy look! The stockings are perfect. Everything looks wonderful.
-Lynn

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Love your mantel and those white lantern! I also cheated and used those same stockigs. I added some embellishment to mine too.

Kathysue said...

Love the natural elements and the simplicity of your mantel. You did an amazing job!! It is perfectly balanced and I love the colors you used perfect for a natural themed mantel. Great job!!
Kathysue

The Embellished Home said...

I love the mix of white and neutral colors and the pops of green. Looks beautiful!

Anonymous said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE~ I love everything from the mirror to the lanterns(I have some in red although I didn't use them on my mantle display). Love the contrast of white to brown~ metal and woodsy....so lovely. Everything is so peaceful and elegant.

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to let you know i love your Christmas mantel that i have added your tutorial to my blog

http://ourlittlenestonthelake.blogspot.com/

happy holidays

Kara @ June & Bear said...

very pretty. love the lanterns and barn star.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails