We had this bevelled mirror that I decided I wanted to reframe, so we went to the ReStore to get trim. 2 10ft oak pieces for about $6. We have no fancy power tools (yet), so hubby had to make 8 cuts with a good old fashioned miter and dull saw. Took about an hour. Not fun. Look at his cute little balding head as he checks the fit of the corners. He's so cute. I'm not sure which is more fun...building stuff yourself, or watching your hunky hubby build stuff.
Look! It's the Kooky Lady again. She's wielding her weapon of choice during this project. And wearing a garage door opener on her head. How nice.
Enter the big guns. As I'd already used this for a previous project, the top was glued shut. Yep. We used the 'dip a broken paint stick and wipe it on' method. Professionals do this. Really. And they stack all manner of half-filled paint cans to hold stuff in place. Clamps are so yesterday.
Time to measure around the mirror so we....well, so hubby...could cut out the back piece, which happens to be a dazzling leftover piece of paneling from the previous owners' stash. He used that spare piece of trim sitting on top to measure all the way around and drew a pencil line.
Checking his measurements to get the mirror centered just so....Just so he could play with this stuff next.
It's fun to squirt. It's fun to spread. It's fun to dance on the mirror. (By the way, always smooth out the goop or it acts all stupid. Hubby's words, not mine. And he wanted me to be sure to tell you all that.)
Here's the frame laying over the mirror which is attached to the panel piece. Hubs also put two screw in the sides at each end to reinforce the corners, though I think the glue would've been fine. The wood was so freaking hard, and the screwdriver so freaking out of charge, we left it at two. Anyway, her it is ready for me to prime, paint, and glaze before attaching it to the mirror board.
Btw, I've used Gorilla Glue and Epoxy for a couple other little endeavors...easy peasy and elcheapo. Briefly, I put together the pillar holder using a wooden railing scrap (already painted black, picked up at the ReStore) and a couple wooden discs from Hob Blob, used the Gorilla Wood Glue to attach the discs to the top and bottom, painted, sanded and glazed. Ta da!
I also have plans to use the epoxy to make a 3 tiered tray for displaying goodies at Christmas using candlesticks and pretty plates. But back to the mirror....here's Hubs putting in bitty screws along the back. He used 4 down each long side and 2 each on the short sides to attach the frame to the panel.
And the big finish...after I'd primed, painted and glazed.
We just need to add the sawtooth hangers and get it up in the dining room on the big blank wall. Ran outta the right size screws. Typical, non-climatic ending.