7.09.2013

::van Gogh Paint/Product Review::

It's been super awesome fun to get to try all these boutique paints.  Super awesome fun.
Meet Tonya.....


Tonya was my latest victim project to get a makeover.
I used products I received from van Gogh Chalk Paint Collection.
In this post, I showed you how it arrived.....



One of the jars of their Moon Glaze had gotten jostled open and covered everything in the box.
I wonder if the box had been dropped and/or opened as you'll notice even the paint cans were dented and looked messed with.
It also took a good while to arrive....so long, in fact, I thought perhaps they'd forgotten to ship it.


Anyway, undeterred, I dove in and started painting.  They were kind enough to enclose 2 full quarts of their paint (colors: Chalk and Van Gogh), a brush, the unfortunate Moon Glaze which I was unable to use, and a tub each of her clear beeswax and her French Caffeine beeswax.

Here's the before....a typical 80's laminate side table left in our temporary home by the previous owners.  Weighs a friggen ton.  Just sayin'.

(like my hi tech tuna cans?  That's how I roll....)

I used the Van Gogh color...a very vibrant turquoise!


Did I mention it was vibrant?


REVIEW: Coverage was excellent.  Needed only one coat, but I had to do a few touch-ups as I was whipping that paint on fast.  It reminded me very much of the consistency of Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint, a bit thicker than CeCe Caldwell and American Paint Co. There was no smell.  Finish was matte and fairly smooth.  Very 'chalk paint' typical, with some brush marks.  I've since learned if you don't like those marks, you can either go over it with a brush lightly dipped in water, or mist it with water and go over it with a clean brush.  You're welcome.

Next I used my Waxine waxing brush and did a coat of her clear beeswax as per the instructions.  I put on a light coat, rubbed it in and then wiped over it all with a blue shop towel to be sure there was no excess, let it dry (maybe 30 minutes) and lightly buffed it with another clean shop towel.  Very smooth, matte finish.  No real shine.

Then I held my breath and dipped into the dark wax, using another of those blue shop paper towels.  It went on pretty smoothly, but I definitely need some more practice.  At this point, I still like glazing better, but that's prolly because I'm more familiar with that technique. It was easy to remove any excess, and while not as 'mobile' as glazing medium, it stuck nicely into the corners and niches and brush strokes.

It took over 24 hours for that last coat of wax to dry....it was humid here.  Like stupid humid.

Afters!  The dark French Caffeine Beeswax brought out more of the moody green, and toned the turquoise down nicely.  It's still a rich shade, but more subtle.







Had the knob (from Hobby Lobby) in my stash.  As it had antique brass detail, I just used the original hinges.




Thanks to Van Gogh Chalk Paint Collection for supplying me with your products!

Tonya will be available to locals at The Serendipity House.
She will also be carted to the Maven's Vintage Driveway Sale this Sunday.
If you're around Fort Wayne IN, come see us!  There will be 4 other flippers besides myself peddling their wares. :)
Revived, Cottage in the Woods, Restyled Vintage Designs, Emiley's Haute Cottage.
Would love to see you!

Tonya's a party girl like her sisters, so she'll be flaunting her knob around blogland.  Links go live when she arrives....
Tutorials & Tips, The DIY ShowOff, Stylish Once Again, A Stroll Thru Life, Mod Vintage Life, The Farmhouse Porch, Cozy Little House, Coastal Charm, Knick of Time, Artsy Chicks Rule, Home Stories from A to Z, Elizabeth & Co., Homework, City Farmhouse, Fluster Buster, Domestically Speaking, Lilyfield Life, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Green Willow Pond, My Repurposed Life, The Craftberry Bush, Jennifer Rizzo, Redoux Interiors, Shabby Art Boutique, French Country Cottage, The Charm of Home, Common Ground, Rooted in Thyme, Start at Home, Stone Gable, Blue Egg Brown Nest, Liz Marie Blog, The Cottage Market, Mustard Seed Interiors, Party Junk



30 comments:

molly- See you downtown said...

When I saw the before, I was wondering if worth the effort. It definitely was. What a cottage cutie she turned out to be.

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

The knob is perfect!

pbrenner said...

What ^ Molly said - what a transformation! About the brushmarks - do you do the going over lightly with wet brush or misting before the paint dries or can you do it after? Sorry if that's a silly question - but with the heat here in central Texas, my chalk paint dries quick!

Fabulous color - thanks for the review!

Patty

Sue @ A Colourful Canvas said...

Well, you had me at turquoise. This could very well be my new favourite turquoise. I've been waiting for this review, as Van Gogh is a local biz. A brand I now must try!

Yeah, I'm thinking that customs opened your package and had a looksie. Too bad about not being able to try the Moon Glaze.

Sue xo

Cassie Bustamante said...

your table is adorable now! love the knob!

NanaDiana said...

I really love the color of this piece. And that know is perfect. That's awful that it came through such a mess though. Wondering if it was packed properly for safe shipping. Usually things that are packed properly can take a rough handling. xo Diana

Magali@TheLittleWhiteHouse said...

I wouldn't have bet a penny on that piece, but with that fun colour and the adorable knob, it turned out so cute.

Unknown said...

Very cute Cindy!
I'm in love with that knob - it's gorgeous!!!!!
XOXO

cairncottage said...

Hi, Cindy! What a mess you must have found when you opened that box!!! Turquoise is such a popular color these days to be painting furniture. Your piece came out very nicely! Too bad I don't have a room that it would match the color and style with.
Ann @ Cairn Cottge

Good Time Charlie said...

Turned out gorgeous! I love the cute little knob on it too. Great review!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

The piece looks great and a wonderful review also. I havn't tried any of the paints, seems I have just been busy staining. Thanks so much for linking up to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Great job! It's really lovely now, and that knob fits perfectly!
Besos from Argentina,
Silvina

Jenna said...

Love that color! I've never heard of this paint before - I may have to give it a try!

Jamie Koenig said...

I've never heard of the brand of paint. But I have been wanting to try chalk paint. BTW the little knob is too cute. New follower

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, that is one cute little thing!! I love the color you chose & think it's perfect :) And, the little handle is so so cute as well - great pick! I saw you at The Shabby Creek Cottage!
Blessings,
Nicole

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I have one of these cuties... only the paper is peeling off...it was a hand-me-down piece...I've kept it hidden under a lace doily and behind a rocker.(I'VE LIVED WITH IT LIKE THIS.)
Anyway, you think I should peel off the paper before painting it? Or just clip it off where it is curled?
What would you do?
I'm guessing DIY chalk paint would work on this... ? I haven't bought canned chalk paint.
Any thoughts?

Also, have you tried Clark + Kensington @ ACE? It is paint and primer in one. Would it be similar to chalk paints? I've used it but haven't done a side by side comparison with DIY Chalk Paint...
Ok...too much, you can answer here if you want, and I'll just check back...or you can email me.
Okay, bye...LOL! I love reading that on your blog.
Pat

Unknown said...

I love the color! So cute!
I would love for you to share and link up at my weekly TGIF Link Party if you haven't already this week. Your favorite posts, most popular, recent or new! The party is open every Thursday night and closes Tuesday's at midnight. Followed by (Not SO) Wordless Wednesday! http://apeekintomyparadise.blogspot.com/.
I would be honored if you join us and follow to stay connected Have a wonderful week!
Hugs, Cathy

Elise Engh said...

Who knew there was paint named after my favorite artist? Very cool. I'm really loving that color right now!

Artsy Chicks Rule said...

Nice color...but wow, crazy how the paint came!!Thanks for sharing on Project Inspire{d}.. Pinned!
Nancy

hayleyslittleplace said...

What an amazing transformation! The knob was the perfect finishing touch. Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Hi! All of your paint reviews are insightful! Maybe I missed it, but do you mind sharing how you got this opportunity? Did you contact the company directly?
My favorite so far is CeCe Caldwell's- I'm doing my cabinets with it right now!

www.decoratemylife.com

Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

What a gorgeous little piece and so much better all pretty and bright than laminate! What a shame about how your paint arrived - I would have been interested to hear what the moon glaze does. Thanks for linking to Paint Parade
cheers Fiona

van Gogh Fossil Paint Collection said...

Thank you so much for using and reviewing our product! I love what you did and am so happy to hear you tested it over laminate. That's always one of those hard to stick to surfaces. I apologize for the shipping mishap. I can guess that it was indeed held up at customs and examined and then not repacked properly. We put bubble wrap and everything in our boxes. However, ususally, a customer would order from their local USA van Gogh Paintologist so this would not be a problem. Also, when we ship to our Paintologists, we use a whole different, professional shipping system. So glad you had fun and you did an awesome job. van Gogh is my personal favourite colour in our line, which is why I gave it that name. You can see all our colours at www.vanGoghChalkPaintCollection.com
with much gratitude, Kathy van Gogh

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Wow, that box took a beating. Looks like someone went all postal on it ;) Nice job on the redo. Thanks for the tips on this new paint. I hadn't heard of it before.

Thank you so much for your sweet comments and for stopping by! Have a great week!

Hugs,
Deborah

The Cottage Market {Andrea} ♥ said...

Tonya looks marvelous!!!! Love her! hugs...

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

What a cutie that piece turned out to be! Nice work!
Liz

Anonymous said...

Wow! Great job!

Stupid humid... we think a lot alike!

Anonymous said...

I love the review. If you decide to use the paint on something else, you don't actually have to Natural wax first when you use the French Caffeine wax. It's a totally different composition than most of the other waxes out there and you don't have to do triple the work (one of the many things I love about the line) Use the darker wax straight on the paint, and you can still "erase" with the Natural if you want to pull some off.

Happy Painting! I love your work!

My Repurposed Life said...

so pretty Cindy! love how well the knobs match.
great job
gail

Unknown said...

It indicates that you should apply the natural beeswax and then the French Caffeine if that's the look you're going for, not French Caffeine alone.
I wasn't thrilled with the wax. I was hoping for at least a little sheen but it still looks like it wasn't even waxed. Anyone else find this?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails